1 Joleon Lescott Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood has refused to rule out late moves for Joleon Lescott and Emmanuel Adebayor.The pair have been targets for Sherwood during the summer and the manager remained coy ahead of Tuesday’s transfer deadline.West Brom will allow Lescott to leave once they complete a deal for Jonny Evans, having agreed a fee with Manchester United for the Northern Ireland defender on Friday.Tottenham, meanwhile, are desperate to get Adebayor off their wage bill and the Togo striker held talks with Villa earlier this summer over a move.“It depends how the dominoes go. Never rule it out,” said Sherwood, ahead of Saturday’s Barclays Premier League visit of Sunderland.“Domino effects happen but I wouldn’t like to talk about individual players. Joleon is a player who would be attractive to a lot of teams, just for what he gives you on an experience level.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City “Someone had to have seen something,” Lorenz said. “It’s a very busy intersection.” Anyone with more information about the case was urged to call Glendale police at (818) 548-4840 or (818) 507-STOP. ——————————— For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. GLENDALE – Glendale police today sought public help to find a hit- and-run motorist responsible for the death of a pedestrian. Wencslao Devera, 53, of Glendale, was apparently walking home from church when he was hit by a compact vehicle as he crossed Chevy Chase Boulevard about 8:15 p.m. yesterday, said Glendale police Sgt. Tom Lorenz. Police officers performed CPR on Devera and paramedics took him to Glendale Adventist Medical Center, where he died, Lorenz said. The vehicle was described as a beige, white or silver-colored car, which may have a broken headlight or windshield, said Lorenz. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Eat. Essen. Monger. Ehhol. Fres. Mangiare. Yest. If any of these sound familiar because your granny or great-grandmother came from Germany, France, Israel, Italy or Russia, she was probably like my Russian grandmother. Grandma Pearl thought if you weren’t pleasantly roly-poly, you weren’t healthy. She wasn’t alone, because many of my friends at the time also complained that visits to their grandmothers’ houses were eating orgies. Don’t we all wish they were still around to whip up all those delicious recipes they brought over here on the boat with them? Because no matter how hard we try, we can’t duplicate them. And to think, most of the time we turned down their offers of gluttony for the sake of vanity. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Then wow – this comes along just in time for the holidays! We no longer have to begrudge ourselves a little fudge that adds some pudge, because a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association says so. It’s OK; it’s even good for your health to be as much as 30 pounds overweight. According to the study, it may in fact, be healthier for those who are a little overweight than it is for their thinner counterparts. The added heft seems to help stave off diseases, such as cancer and heart disease. Conversely, the study says that those same extra pounds are not so good if diabetes or kidney disease is involved. So, before taking the study too much to our waistlines, we should know what our basic health is. But if you are a normal healthy, average Jane or Joe who’s been trying to shed that extra 10 or 15 pounds, the study is welcome news, especially at this time of year. And, for me, there’s an extra added boon. Going by weight/height charts in doctors’ offices, over the years I’ve been consistently 20 to 30 pounds underweight! The charts for a woman who is 5-foot-3 of medium bone structure should weigh between 135 and 145 pounds. My average weight over the years has never varied more than a pound or two from 115 pounds, so I’m already 20 to 30 pounds ahead of the game. Allowing for the fact that I can now add 30 pounds to the equation, I can get my weight up to 175 pounds, and still be within the 30 pound safety zone! Pudgy sludge is good, and for all of you who might be like me, the holidays are going to be a blast. Yes! Forget the green-bean and onion-ring casseroles you never liked, and serve up the turkey with rich gravy, extra helpings of tooth-melting candied yams and pumpkin pie with mile-high mountains of whipped cream. For Christmas and all the holiday parties there will be hors d’oeuvres, honey-baked ham, mashed potatoes, chocolate santas, candies, cookies and cake to be washed down with rich, creamy eggnog that we won’t have to pass on. On Hanukkah, those who are lucky enough to be invited to a latke party, can indulge and overindulge on that once-a-year, pain-in-the-neck-to-make treat, fried-in-oil potato pancakes served with sour cream or applesauce to go along with the brisket and thick, rich gravy. Bring it on! Thank you, all you scientists who have been studying weight all these years and are now saying a few extra pounds can’t hurt too much, and for many might be a good thing. Thanks to Grandma, too. My Russian grandma thought if you weren’t nice and well-rounded, you looked like death warmed over. This study might just have proved her to be correct, and me wrong for all the food I turned down. When we went to visit Granny, it was an eating fest from the moment we walked in the door until the second we left. If she were here today, she’d say, “See, I told you, you were too skinny.” Sandy Sand is a resident of West Hills, a freelance writer and former editor of the Tolucan.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Speaking today in response to the latest quarterly review by the EU/IMF & ECB of Ireland’s EU/IMF support programme, Sinn Féin Finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty said “implementing a failed programme is not an indicator of success.”At the end of its third quarterly programme review mission, the ‘Troika’ has “assessed the programme to be on track and in their view all targets in the programme to date have been met”, according to a statement from the Department of Finance.Deputy Director of the IMF’s European Department Ajai Chopra said the IMF welcomed the statement earlier this week from Eurozone ministers, who said they were ready to take further measures, including extending the flexibility and scope of the European rescue mechanism, to deal with Europe’s debt crisis. However Donegal TD Pearse Doherty was furious with the ‘spin’ on the story.He warned: “Today’s report card by the EU/IMF and ECB is not good news for Ireland. Meeting EU/IMF targets is no measure of economic recovery. Implementing a failed EU/IMF austerity programme is not an indicator of success.“We are told that the purpose of the so called support programme is to fix the public finances and enable Ireland to return to the markets in 2013. The target for public spending cuts and tax increases for budget 2012 is meant to be €3.6 billion.“However only six months in and the Government has revised this figure up to €4 billion. It is likely that the final figure will be higher again when the budget is announced in December.” FAILINGMr Doherty said the programme is also failing to meet its objective of assisting Ireland to re-enter the bond markets in 2013.He went on: “When the Government last hosted the EU/IMF and ECB in April to review the austerity programme, yields on 10 year Irish bonds were at 9 per cent. Today they have exceeded 14 per cent. Taken alongside the rating agency’s downgrade of Government bonds to junk status this week, it is clear that a return to the bond markets in 2013 will be impossible unless there is a change of direction.“While the EU/IMF and ECB are telling us that the austerity programme is on track, it is clear that it is not working. The reason is very simple. You can not solve a debt crisis with more debt and you can not end a recession with increased austerity.“The domestic economy is still in recession with GNP down 4.3 per cent in the first quarter of this year. Unemployment continues to rise with 457,948 on the live register. Consumer spending continues to fall, inflation continues to rise and personal indebtedness continues to rise, pushing more and more people into economic hardship and poverty. “These depressing facts tell us clearly that EU/IMF imposed austerity is crippling our economy, strangling any possibility of social or economic recovery and delaying any return to the bond markets.“Meanwhile the Government continues to borrow billions of euros at high interest rates to pay off senior unguaranteed bondholders.“The cost of these failed policies is being borne by ordinary people. Cuts to Special Needs Assistants, cuts to winter fuel allowance and other social welfare payments, closure of emergency services in rural hospitals, and attacks on wages of low paid workers are all a direct consequence of this EU/IMF austerity programme.“We need a new approach based on burden sharing to reduce our debt burden and investment to create employment and stimulate social and economic recovery.” Yesterday Deputy Doherty revealed European governments would make €13 BILLION in profits from loans to Ireland.AS EU/IMF PRAISE IRELAND, DOHERTY INSISTS POLICY IS DOOMED TO FAIL was last modified: July 14th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BAILOUTEUIMFPearse Doherty TDPROFITEERING BY EUROPEAN GOVERNMENTS ON THE BACKS OF THE IRISH
Ter Stegen had the same role for the Blaugrana last season, when he did not even make a single appearance in La Liga.He concedes playing second fiddle to Claudio Bravo is not always easy, even if he feels the faith of coach Luis Enrique.The fact he played in the Champions League final and continues to appear in that competition is enough to prove that, although he would rather play more than just a handful of games each month.“It’s difficult because you don’t get the rhythm that you would like,” he said. “Of course I want to be playing more.“If the situation stays the way it is, then of course we’ve got to talk about it at some stage.“In the long run, it’s very tough for a goalkeeper of my age.” Marc-Andre Ter Stegen has fallen out of favour at the Camp Nou 2 2 German goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen admits he will have to consider his future if he does not start to get more game-time for Barcelona.The 23-year-old has been Barca’s cup goalkeeper this season, featuring eight times in the Champions League, making six appearances in the Copa del Rey and starting only four Primera Division matches.It has been rumoured the former Borussia Monchengladbach custodian could move to Liverpool next term and, while he does not want to comment on any rumours, he accepts his future in Spain is far from clear.“I’m not considering myself with other clubs because the situation doesn’t currently oblige me to,” he told sport1.de.“Football is my job and all that matters is the present, the next game. I am not going to be wasting time considering what I do next.“Barca are a great club and things can still change between now and the summer.“If the situation remains the way it is at the moment, however, then we’re definitely going to have to talk – there’s no avoiding that.”
Xherdan Shaqiri in action for Switzerland 1 Besiktas have lodged an enquiry to Stoke over the availability of playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri.The Turkish champions believe the lure of Champions League football next year could tempt the midfielder into a move, although they will be unlikely to match his current salary.With Gokhan Tore set to move to West Ham, Besiktas are already on the lookout for a replacement and, according to Fotomac, they view the Switzerland international as the ideal man to fill the void.Stoke, however, are unlikely to co-operate in any negotiations for Shaqiri after splashing out £12m on him last summer.The 24-year-old made a positive start to his Premier League career, making 27 starts and scoring three goals for the Midlands club.
Gareth Bale hailed Wales’ 3-0 win over Russia as their ‘best team performance ever’ as they qualified for the last 16 of Euro 2016 as Group B winners ahead of rivals England.Aaron Ramsey, who was phenomenal on the night, opened the scoring with an early goal, with Neil Taylor doubling the lead inside 20 minutes.Bale got a deserved third goal and in doing so became the tournament’s top goalscorer with three goals.“It was absolutely fantastic tonight,” the Real Madrid man told talkSPORT.“It was probably the best team performances that Wales have produced ever and what a moment to do it.“I want to thank all the fans, who were absolutely incredible as they came out in their numbers again.“We know we have the support back at home and we want to thank everybody, but what a great performance tonight from the boys and it was thoroughly deserved.”Chris Coleman’s side will have to wait to see who they will play in the next round as they will face one of the third-placed teams.
Ashton Hurst killed his stepfather because he was trying to do the one thing in the world Hurst could not live with: Separate him from his mother, a prosecutor told a jury this week. Contrary to Hurst’s claims, Robert Gauci was not a pervert who sexually assaulted Hurst, Deputy District Attorney Jeff Stodel said during closing arguments Monday and Tuesday. Gauci simply didn’t want the 33-year-old man, whom he described to friends as a “freeloader,” “loser” and “drug addict,” living with him and his wife in their Torrance home anymore, Stodel said. But Henry Salcido, Hurst’s defense attorney, chastised the prosecutor for backing away from his original theory – that Hurst killed Gauci after he had a delusion that Gauci sexually assaulted him – in favor of the eviction motive that arose midway through the monthlong trial. Stodel reminded the jury that a police officer testified that Hurst would have had to travel approximately 140 feet round trip to retrieve the knife and return to the front lawn where Gauci lay. Hurst told his family he stabbed Gauci because he didn’t think anyone would believe him and he didn’t want to go to jail, and because he didn’t want Gauci to live with brain damage. This showed deliberation as well as premeditation on Hurst’s part, Stodel argued. Both are necessary for a conviction of first-degree murder. If the Torrance Superior Court jury of five women and seven men acquits Hurst of first-degree murder, which carries a mandatory sentence of 25 years to life, they can still consider lesser charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. Since the night of the killing, Hurst has “rehearsed, prepared and lied” about the “kung fu”-style fight to have it appear that Gauci was the aggressor who introduced the knife, Stodel argued. But even in some of his later statements, Hurst acknowledges that Gauci was “knocked out” when he stabbed him. During the fight, Hurst hit Gauci with a 5-pound dumbbell and stomped and kicked on his head and body, leaving Gauci bleeding profusely and curled up in a fetal position with brain matter coming out of his head at the time he was stabbed, Stodel said. At least a dozen things point to the fact that Hurst didn’t kill in self-defense, Stodel said. Among them: Gauci was stabbed in the back of the neck, which shows he was not attacking or the aggressor. Hurst admitted to his mother that he started the fight. He told his mother and sister why he stabbed Gauci – and it didn’t have anything to do with fearing him. Gauci had defensive wounds, while Hurst was barely injured, but for a few scratches. The law says that the right to defend yourself ends the moment the threat of death or injury stops, Stodel reminded the jury. “He has completely incapacitated his victim,” Stodel said. “At that point, there’s no imminent threat.” Historically, Hurst’s mental issues would grow worse during times he wasn’t living with his mother, Stodel said. When he’s apart from her, he is “a ticking time bomb,” Stodel said. So it’s key evidence that Harbor College baseball coach Marc Alvillar testified that, an hour before Gauci was killed, Gauci told him he was going to go home and evict Hurst. Alvillar’s testimony was corroborated by Gauci’s colleagues and friends, who said Gauci was frustrated with his stepson and wanted him out of the house in the months before he died. Salcido, though, asked the jury to disregard Alvillar’s testimony, suggesting that he lied on the witness stand – either because the passage of time mixed up his memory or because he’s biased. “Alvillar is now remembering what he wants to remember because he wants to help,” Salcido said, acknowledging that Alvillar came forward after he read about the trial in the Daily Breeze. In the first two hours of Salcido’s closing argument, he barely mentioned the incident or Hurst’s mental issues. Instead, he focused on why he thinks the jury should find Mrs. Gauci credible, and why he thinks Gauci was a “liar, deceptive, thief and a cheat.” Mrs. Gauci, who now clearly believes in her son’s innocence, said she was in a sexless marriage – and told police this information even when she thought Hurst was a liar the night he killed Gauci. She also said their real estate portfolio of six properties was built on her money, and that she discovered after her husband’s death that $100,000 she gave to Gauci for their retirement account was missing. In addition, she also testified about an incident in 2001 where Gauci threatened her and she called 911 because she was scared. Police records corroborated her testimony. However, Salcido noted that character witnesses called by the prosecution said Gauci told them he had normal sexual relations with his wife, had helped Hurst financially and was coming up with down payments for real estate. “He was two-faced,” Salcido said. “He was leading a deceptive life.” Salcido will continue closing arguments today and likely argue that Gauci was interested in sex with men – corroborated by about two-dozen images depicting homosexual or bisexual behavior that were found on his computer. email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ“What makes more sense – that Ashton will kill Gauci because he is evicting him or that Gauci sexually assaulted Ashton?” Salcido asked. “It is so simple.” Hurst, now 36, is charged with murdering Gauci, 44, on Feb. 8, 2005, by stabbing him six times in the back of the neck at the end of a fight that began inside the home in the 2200 block of 232nd Street. Hurst, who has a mental illness that causes him to believe men are gay and want to rape him, has given varying accounts as to the genesis of the altercations, as well as the details of the battle itself. But Stodel used Hurst’s own words and actions to argue to the jury that Hurst committed first-degree murder, and did not kill in self-defense. The night of Gauci’s death, Hurst told his mother, Melba Gauci, that he got a butcher knife from the kitchen.