Tag Archives: 小海棠信息网

Japan’s Kamegai faces Cotto in first world title bout

first_imgPagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend LATEST STORIES LOOK: Vhong Navarro’s romantic posts spark speculations he’s marrying longtime GF Yoshihiro Kamegai of Japan v Jesus Soto-Karass of Mexico during the junior middleweights bout at The Forum on September 10, 2016 in Inglewood, California. Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images/AFPJapanese boxer Yoshihiro Kamegai has the chance to grab the world junior middleweight title left behind by Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, but blocking his path is former world champion Miguel Cotto.Promoters announced Wednesday that Kamegai will face Cotto on August 26 at Los Angeles for the vacant World Boxing Organization junior middleweight crown.ADVERTISEMENT Lakers win 9th straight, hold off Pelicans More than 5,000 measles deaths in DR Congo this year — WHO Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next South Korea to suspend 25% of coal plants to fight pollutioncenter_img Mexican star Alvarez, who defeated Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr earlier this month, dropped the 154-pound title as he moves up to the middleweight ranks for a megafight on September 16 against unbeaten Gennady Golovkin for the Kazak star’s three world titles.Vying to replace Alvarez at 154 pounds are Kamegai, in his first world title bout at age 34, and 36-year-old Puerto Rican Cotto, whose first world championship bout was in 2004.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hosting“I’m very excited to be back and showcase a high level fight for the fans,” Cotto said. “Kamegai is a great, tough fighter, but I will be ready for him and to capture the world title. I can’t wait to start training for this fight and get back in the ring.” MOST READ ‘Coming Home For Christmas’ is the holiday movie you’ve been waiting for, here’s why SEA Games: PH beats Indonesia, enters gold medal round in polo Tigresses lead BVR tournament Ilocos leg champs Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Cotto, 40-5 with 33 knockouts, has owned world titles at super lightweight, welterweight, super welterweight/junior middleweight and middleweight — the only Puerto Rican fighter to claim crowns in four different weight classes.“I fully understand who I’m going to be in the ring against, but Cotto’s record and history won’t matter once we are toe-to-toe,” Kamegai said. “I am looking forward to giving fans the kind of aggressive fight that they have seen from me before and having my arm raised in victory.”Kamegai, 27-3 with two drawn and 24 knockouts, is 3-2 with one drawn in his past six fights over the past three years, having stopped Mexico’s Jesus Soto Karass last September in his most recent bout.Cotto is 3-3 over the past five years, including a super welterweight title loss to Floyd Mayweather in 2012. His most recent bout was an unanimous decision loss to Alvarez in November 2015.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Sheldon Kennedy removing name from child advocacy centre he founded

first_imgCALGARY — Former NHL player and abuse survivor Sheldon Kennedy is removing his name from the Calgary child advocacy centre he founded.He says in a statement that the decision comes with some sadness, a great sense of relief and no regrets.Kennedy says having his name on the building means personal responsibility for its day-to-day operation and looking after front-line workers, donors, volunteers and victims.He says it has been rewarding work since he first pitched the centre in 2010, but it has taken a toll.Kennedy says he needs to take care of his mental health and find balance in his life.He says he’ll now focus on his family and on the Respect Group, a company he co-founded aimed at preventing bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination.“Today, I am healthy and excited about my next chapter. I will continue the crusade, but with greater balance. I am also comforted to know that the Calgary Child Advocacy Centre and our community are ready to carry the torch,” Kennedy said in a statement Tuesday.“It has become clear that I will not be able to achieve the critical balance I need in my life without taking my name off the centre. Furthermore, our community will never fully own the issues with my name still on it. The time has come and the future is bright.”Kennedy declined to comment further.Kennedy was among the first to speak out about sexual abuse he suffered from coach Graham James. James was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for abusing Kennedy and another young player.James later pleaded guilty to repeatedly abusing other players including retired NHL star Theo Fleury and Fleury’s cousin, Todd Holt, when they played for him in the Western Hockey League in the late 1980s and early ’90s.The Canadian Presslast_img read more