Category Archives: cqeoz

Sweet 17th birthday for Russell

first_img It was a first and second for Calabar in the event, and while Russell was happy with maximum points for his team, he said he felt happier to silence all doubts about his fitness. “In the last interviews, they were asking the same question about my health. People can speculate all they want, but I know what I know. I know my body, so I just went there and tried my best, and thank God for the result,” he explained. SILENCE ALL DOUBTS Outstanding Calabar High hurdler De’Jour Russell celebrated his 17th birthday in style at the National Stadium yesterday. Russell, who was an injury doubt for the ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Championships, won the Class One 110 metres hurdles in a record 13.21 seconds. He demolished the mark held by last year’s Olympic champion, Omar McLeod, who set the record while attending Kingston College in 2013. Russell looked well below his best in the semi-finals on Friday morning, but yesterday, he was too hot to handle. “I am 17 now. This is my birthday. I am glad my birthday falls on this championship because I knew I was going to do something big,” an elated Russell told The Sunday Gleaner. He said there was a lot more left in the tank. “That (his record run) wasn’t really all out. I pulled off at the fourth hurdle because my coach (Michael Clarke) said just keep the flow, and that was what I did. I was surprised I came out with the record,” he reasoned.last_img read more

Asian Games medalists to get additional incentives from Malacañang

first_imgSeventeen-year-old Yuka Saso stands to receive P9 million for her historic gold medal win in golf in Indonesia.ADVERTISEMENT Roger, over and out? Federer ready to keep Father Time at bay Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown LATEST STORIES That is after windfall continued to flow for the Asian Games heroes, according to the Philippine Sports Commission.PSC chair Butch Ramirez announced on Wednesday that the Office of the President coughed up additional P1 million for the gold, P500,000 for silver and P200,000 for the bronze.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’That hiked the haul for the four gold medalists to at least P7 million each including the P2 million provided by the PSC, P2 million from the Senate, P1 million from businessman Dennis Uy and P1 million from the PH ambassador to Indonesia Lee Hiong Tan Wee.Saso pulled off a stunner when she captured the women’s individual gold as well as the team gold along with Bianca Pagdanganan and Lois Kaye Go. Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award For her share of the team gold, Saso is expected to get P9.3 million, thereby becoming the highest earner among the batch.Olympic silver winner in weightlifting Hidilyn Diaz and skateboarder Margielyn Didal also won gold medals in the Asiad, giving the country its best performance since the 2006.Meanwhile, the PSC has extended help to the family of Olympic table tennis player Ian Lariba who passed away last Monday.The incentives will be handed in a ceremony in Malacanang on Sept. 12.The PSC has also paid for the medical expenses worth P1.5 million as the agency also vowed to help other Olympians who are suffering from illness including Leopoldo Serantes who is battling obstructive pulmonary disease.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MOST READ View commentslast_img read more

Applaud GECOM Chair appointment

first_imgDear Editor,Plaudits have been showered on Judge Claudette Singh for agreeing to accept the appointment as Chair of GECOM. President Granger and Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo ought to be applauded for their gentleman agreement that led to the nomination and appointment of an acceptable Chair. Jagdeo acted like a statesman in reviewing the recommendations of President Granger. And Granger is praised for bringing closure to the process fulfilling one order of the CCJ ruling.It is reminded that the two men were not able to reach consensus on an appointee (from 18 nominees) some two years ago following the resignation of Dr Steve Surujbally. Following the CCJ’s ruling on June 18 and consequential order on July 2, it took some four weeks for this nomination and appointment. After many hours of meetings, former President and Opposition Leader Jagdeo submitted a list of outstanding nominees from which Justice Claudette was plucked as the President’s choice.It is hoped that a similar gentleman agreement can be reached in the selection of a date for election. As a reminder, the CCJ ruled that elections must be held by September 18 unless there is an agreement in Parliament (by a two-thirds majority) between the Government and Opposition to extend the deadline.An election is not possible within the six weeks that remain before September 18. GECOM will need an additional month, if not longer, to prepare for an election. The election is being delayed by the obstinate positions taken by both sides and time is going. A compromise is urgently needed.The coalition insists it wants House-to-House Registration to make sure all eligible voters are on the list. The Opposition has boycotted House-to-House Registration. This means not every eligible voter will be on the list. The Opposition wants elections now using the list that was utilised for the November local elections. A compromise is needed. The list should be updated to be sure all eligible voters are registered.President Granger and Opposition Leader Jagdeo should meet and compromise on a workable date for elections that gives GECOM the extra time needed to prepare for free and fair elections under international supervision. Failing this, Guyana will enter into a constitutional quagmire after September 18 and can face serious consequences from the Commonwealth and Caricom.Yours truly,Vishnu Bisramlast_img read more

Police find gun in bag dropped by man

first_imgThe police have unearthed a .32 pistol from a bag that was disposed of by a man along Cemetery Road, Georgetown.According to reports, at about 21:00h Wednesday, police A Division (Georgetown-East Bank Demerara) were on patrol when they saw a man drop the bag he was carrying and made good his escape.The ranks collected the bag and upon checking, they found the firearm.An investigation has been launched into the incident.last_img

Blizzard Sunday Race Results

first_imgPhoto: Robin Baillie with his trophy following his win at the S&S Turbines Hill Climb Championship – SubmittedRobin Baillie won the 9th edition of the S & S Turbines Hill Climb Championship, Sunday, and set the course record along the way. His time of 21:15 minutes for the 8 km climb beat Vaughn Hilderbrand’s record set back in 2002.- Advertisement -Billy Bucknall was second at 23:06 and Colter Young third at 24:25. Bob Andrews was 4th at 26:59 and Rod Lewis 5th at 27:20.Other times were: Sam Keats at 28:39, Simon Andrews 29:08, Peter King 29:17, Sandy McDonald 31:03, Ken Nix 31:42, Marie Young 33:06 and Owen Giebelhaus 34:51.Coming up:-Wednesday club meeting 7:30 pm at Wendy’s.-Thursday Baldonnel time trial at 7 pm. -Sunday is the tough 95 km Cecil Lake to Upper Pine School and back road race at 10:00 am. A 40 km distance will also be available. www.ferrisfastcycles.comlast_img read more

Requests for jobless benefits fall for week

first_imgBig chains with lackluster results included Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Costco Wholesale Corp. and Limited Brands Inc. Meanwhile, high-end stores such as Nordstrom Inc. continued their winning streak. The Federal Reserve reported the net worth of U.S. households hit a record of $55.6 trillion in the October-December quarter, pushed higher by stock market gains. For the entire year, household net worth rose by 7.4 percent, slightly slower than the 7.9 percent increase in 2005. On Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average rose 68.25 points Thursday to close at 12,260.70 as the market extended its recovery after last week’s big plunge. The February unemployment rate will be released today. Analysts are expecting that it will remain unchanged at 4.6 percent, but that payroll growth will slow to 100,000. Analysts expect that the jobless rate will increase slightly this year, to around 5 percent, reflecting the slowdown that has occurred as the economy felt the effects of a two-year Federal Reserve campaign to raise interest rates to combat inflation. WASHINGTON – The number of laid-off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits declined last week, providing a slight break from a recent rise in layoffs. The Labor Department reported that applications for jobless benefits totaled 328,000 last week, the lowest level in a month and down a better-than-expected 10,000 from the previous week. However, the four-week average for claims rose to 339,000, the highest level since layoffs spiked in the fall of 2005. Layoffs have been increasing this year, reflecting weakness in such hard-hit industries as housing and auto manufacturing. In other economic news, the nation’s big retailers reported disappointing sales results for February as unseasonably cold weather put a damper on go-shopping moods. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Bale nets hat-trick as Wales smash sorry China 6-0

first_imgWales wasted no time asserting their dominance when Bale held off China defender Wang Shencao to place a shot into top left corner of the net after just two minutes.It was one-way-traffic during a match between two teams which both failed to qualify for this summer’s World Cup in Russia.Bale almost got a second in the 17th minute as he chased a ball forward, but Shanghai SIPG goalkeeper Yan Junling sprinted off his line to clear the ball.It seemed a only matter of time before Wales scored again and in the 21st minute Sam Vokes capitalised on defensive sloppiness to put through Bale to score his second of the night.Wales continued to enjoy complete control and scored their third when Vokes flicked Andy King’s knockdown past the outstretched fingers of Yan into the goal.And just before half time Bale laid a pass into the path of Liverpool winger Harry Wilson who celebrated his 21st birthday by scoring his first international goal.China rang the changes with a raft of substitutions at half time but Wales came out unchanged after the interval and continued to dominate their hosts.Burnley striker Vokes grabbed his second in the 58th minute with a close range finish after Wilson had sprung the offside trap to put him through on goal.Bale sealed his hat-trick in the 62nd minute after latching on to a long ball forward. He was promptly substituted before the restart and left the pitch to rapturous applause from the Chinese fans.The four-team China Cup in Nanning sees Czech Republic play Uruguay, tomorrow night. The winners play Wales in the final next Monday.Speaking after the match, China coach Marcelo Lippi said, “I don’t want to talk about the attack and defence today, I want to talk about the players attitude and performance.“I will be 70 in a month’s time. I’m still active in this role because of my passion for football, if the players I picked didn’t show the same passion then that is my failure.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gareth Bale (R) of Wales steps away from Huang Bowen of China during their China Cup International Football Championship semi-final in Nanning in China’s southern Guangxi region on March 22, 2018 © AFPNANNING, China, Mar 22 – Ryan Giggs’ first game as Wales coach got off to a flying start Thursday with a 6-0 demolition of China as Gareth Bale scored a hat-trick.The Real Madrid forward scored his 29th international goal for his country to become the highest scoring Welsh player of all time, breaking Ian Rush’s record.last_img read more

Nothing in reserve for Waves

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Torre Johnson had career highs of 20 points and 11 rebounds as Oklahoma State cruised to a 69-49 victory over Pepperdine on Wednesday night. Johnson, a junior reserve whose previous career highs were 17 points and seven rebounds, went 10 for 14 from the field. Mario Boggan and Jamaal Brown each added 11 points for the Cowboys (10-4), who held Pepperdine to a season-low 27.1 percent (13 of 48) shooting percentage. The Waves (4-8) were particularly futile in the first half, making just four of 22 shots (18.2 percent) on the way to a 37-16 halftime deficit. Michael Gerrity led Pepperdine with 13 points. The Waves showed signs of life early in the second half, going on a 6-0 run to get to within 17, 39-22, but Johnson made consecutive baskets after a time-out, and the Cowboys did not allow the Waves to get closer than 17 points the rest of the way. After both teams started slow – the Cowboys making two of their first 12 shots and the Waves two of their first nine – both teams went to their benches, but only Sutton got positive results. With Johnson leading the way, the Cowboys bench outscored the Pepperdine reserves 19-7 in the first half and 43-14 for the game. last_img read more

UNCERTAINTY FOR DONEGAL AS BRITAIN VOTE TO BRING ON THE BREXIT

first_imgWill local shops in towns like Letterkenny suffer from a BREXIT.Donegal has woken to an era of uncertainty as Britain has voted to quit the European Union.Sterling has plunged by 10% overnight as border counties like Donegal with many local traders worried that shoppers will now travel to shop across the border.Business people across Donegal this week said an exit by Britain would spell disaster for trade with our neighbouring counties and Britain. Earlier this week Sinn Fein’s Padraig Mac Lochlainn said a BREXIT could put many cross-border projects such as the new cancer unit at Altnagelvin Hospital under threat.British Prime Minister David Cameron has quit as a result of the vote.Taoiseach Enda Kenny is to speak later this morning, following a Cabinet meeting, about what the outcome means for Ireland.In a brief statement, the Government said: “The Government notes the outcome of the UK EU referendum this morning. “This result clearly has very significant implications for Ireland, as well as for Britain and for the European Union.“The Government will meet later this morning to reflect on the result. Following that meeting, the Taoiseach will make a public statement.”The Brexit result must now prompt a poll on Irish unity, Sinn Fein has demanded.The Republican party claimed the referendum will have “massive ramifications on the nature of the British state”.A majority of voters in Northern Ireland and Scotland voted to remain. It is highly unlikely the common travel area along the Border between North and South, will change.But traders say the result will be a ‘disaster’ for the retail trade along the Border as it will play havoc with euro/sterling exchange rates, making it more favourable for customers from the Republic to shop up North.UNCERTAINTY FOR DONEGAL AS BRITAIN VOTE TO BRING ON THE BREXIT was last modified: June 24th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Job Vacancy: Forklift Engineer/Plant Fitter required

first_imgJob Vacancy: A vacancy has arisen for a Forklift Engineer / Plant Fitter. Management at the Irish manufacturing company are seeking experienced candidates to fill the position.If you wish to apply for the job, please call 0862193452 Job Vacancy: Forklift Engineer/Plant Fitter required was last modified: July 18th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Forklift EngineerJob VacancyManufacturingPlant Fitterlast_img read more